Postfix & SASL Authentication

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 9 03:49:23 UTC 2006

--On August 8, 2006 7:40:20 PM -0400 Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net>
wrote:

> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>
>> Apparently you're using the sasldb2 database for logins?  If so, the
>> sasldb2 database needs to be readable by postfix, and it has to be
>> populated with the usernames at domains that you need.  Have you populated
>> the db?
>>
>> You would probably be better off using saslauthd as your
>> pwcheck_method.  Then start saslauthd with the -a sasldb flag.  (See
>>   man 8 saslauthd.)  Auxprop is an older method that wasn't very
>>   dependable.
>
> Thanks, that is what I did. I had to modify the
> /usr/local/lib/smtpd.conf file, but that was about it.

Glad to hear it.

> I do have one question though. The rc.d file has 'pam' listed rather
> than sasldb for the '-a ' flag. I changed it there although the
> directions said not too. Is there any reason that changing it in the rc.d
> file is a bad thing?

Not a bad thing, but when the port gets updated, your changes will be
overwritten.  Instead, use /etc/rc.conf:
saslauthd_enable="YES"
saslauthd_flags="-a sasldb"

 I could not figure out what it meant to do
> otherwise. Was I suppose to create another file that would override that
> one? If so, what was the syntax of the file suppose to be? Anyway, it
> works, so that is all I am really interested in at the moment.

In general, you want to put variables for startup scripts in /etc/rc.conf,
rather than editing the individual startup files.  The startup scripts
will source the /etc/rc.conf file and get the values of those variables
and use them when they run.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas