/etc/fstab error and I can't start the system normally

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 22:35:48 UTC 2006

--- micman <micman at free.fr> wrote:

> >  On  Aug  7,  2006,  at  1:26  PM,  micman  wrote:
>
> >  Hello.
> >
> >  PROBLEM
> >  I  tried  and  configured  FreeBSD  6.1  for
> many  days  and  I  mounted  my
> >  FAT  extended  partition  to  exchange  my  files
>  between  Windows  and  my
> >  new  Operating  System.  That  was  OK.  After  I
>  tried  to  mount
> >  automatically  at  boot  this  partition  and  I
> make  an  error
> >  (grammatical  error):  I  wrote  “acd0s5”
> instead  of  “ad0s5”  in  /etc/
> >  fstab.
> >  Now,  when  I  start  the  system,  I  receive
> this  message  at  the  end  of
> >  the  boot  process:
> >  "Can't  open  (No  such  file  or  directory)
> >  /dev/acd0s5:  UNEXPECTED  INCONSISTENCY;  RUN
> fsck_msdosfs  MANUALLY.
> >  THE  FOLLOWING  FILE  SYSTEM  HAD  AN  UNEXPECTED
>  INCONSISTENCY:
> >  msdosfs:  /dev/acd0s5  (/mnt/win)
> >  Automatic  file  system  check  failed;  help!
> >  Aug  7  20:08:07  int:  /bin/sh  on  /etc/rc
> terminated  abnormally,  going
> >  to  single  user  mode
> >  Enter  full  pathname  of  shell  or  RETURN  for
>  /bin/sh:"
> >
> >  QUESTIONS
> >  Can  I  rewrite  the  file  /etc/fstab  in  text
> mode?
> >  If  it's  possible,  how  can  I  do  this?
> >
> >  I  tried  fsck_manually  and  also  to  boot  by
> option  '6'  ("Escape  to
> >  loader")  but  I  was  not  able  to  resolve
> the  problem.
> >  If  someone  can  help  me,  thank  you.
> __________________________
> >  get into a console maybe by booting single user.
> >  remote root as read/write you may or may not have
> >  remount root as write but...
>
> >  mount -u /
> >  ee /etc/fstab
>
> >  fix the error hit [esc] cc [esc] a and you should
> be
> >  good to go.
>
> >  hope that helps
>
> >  -brian
>
> I have tried. Result:
>
> "can't exec mount -u / for single user: No such file
> or directory"
> and
> ee: not found
>
> About "ee" in the "FreeBSD command reference" I have
> tried this:
> "This is a simpler alternative to 'vi' and is
> installed as part of the FreeBSD base system.
> However it may not always be available (there
> is /rescue/vi for emergencies when /usr is not
> mounted, but no emergency 'ee')."
>
> I have tried 'vi': not found
>
> But in my /rescue 'vi' is listed and I have this
> message:
> "no terminal database found"
> __________________________
>
> >  You  can  go  to  single  user  mode  (4)  from
> the  boot  menu  and  then  mount  -
> >  o  rw  /  .  Then  you  can  edit  /etc/fstab.
>
> >  Pramod  Venugopal
>
> I have tried. Result:

> [...]

yeah sorry about the ee thing for some reason it is
not in the rescue directory only vi is which will
work, but not my favorite editor. to get ee you would
have to mount /usr and its in /usr/bin if I'm not
mistaken. you might have to use absolute paths to get
programs to run like "/usr/bin/ee /etc/fstab" or
"/rescue/vi /etc/fstab" if your gungho about things.

as for the mount error that is odd. did you check the
output of just a plain

mount

if it tells you root is mounted r/w which I think
would be so unless it says readonly then you don't
have to worry about that step. Bur single user mode
always puts root in readonly. I haven't experienced it
puking during boot because of a bad line in fstab
though so I am not certain how that works.

Your best bet is probably to boot from the FreeBSD
install disk, run Fixit shell from the CD/DVD-Rom
option.

then type

/dist/sbin/mount /dev/ad0s(insert your bsd slice \
here)a /mnt

then run ee /mnt/etc/fstab
or
/dist/usr/bin/ee /mnt/etc/fstab

I don't think the absolute paths to everything is
necessary, but I'll give them anyway to cover the
bases.

note if your want to mount that msdosfs for whatever
reason you have to do this
sysctl kern.module_path="/dist/boot/kernel"
/dist/sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s5 /foobar
I've had to deal with that little problem before.
the fixit shell does not load all the kernel modules
you might need only a subset, and mount -t msdosfs
doesn't seem to work anytime I try it so that one
REQUIRES the absolute path to work.

good luck

-brian