BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 8 18:43:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:42:27AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> I've now committed v2.0 of the 300.statistics periodic script ... this one
>> adds the device reporting that we'd talked about previously, and the
>> summary reports now reflect the driver(s) in use for those deciding to
>> report ...
>>
>> This Phase of the script is optional, and not enabled by default ... I
>> can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to report it, but just in
>> case someone feels it poses a problem, its an opt-in report ...
>>
>> pkg-message updated to reflect the extra line you need to add to
>> /etc/periodic.conf:
>>
>>         monthly_statistics_report_devices=yes
>>
>> I've written it to report driver + chip= information from pciconf -l,
>> since even pciconf -lv doesn't seem to use card= ... the summary report
>> will be extended next to show both vendor and chip statistics ...
>
> Only out of curiosity. What kind of webserver have you. If only a part
> of the FreeBSD Users install your script and it got executed at the same
> time, this will get an awfull lot of load for your server.

I'm running Apache 2 + PHP 5.x ... with a PostgreSQL 8.1.4 database
backedn to it ... I have a new Dual-CPU HP Proliant server on its way,
upon which I'll put a second Apache 2 server and setup RR DNS so that
both servers will answer and accept reports ...

I've got 8 servers in place if things can't keep up, and more being added
... I'm not too worried about either server(s) or bandwidth ... and even
less worried seeing that ppl have actually responded well to the whole
thing ...

----