Postfix & SASL Authentication

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Aug 8 14:21:55 UTC 2006

FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE

I have SASL and Postfix installed and for the most part they seem to
work all right together. However, there is one small problem.

When attempting to send a message from one of the PC's on the network,
actually any PC on the network except for the one with Postfix installed
on it, this error message is inserted into the maillog file.

Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: connect from boss.seibercom.net[192.168.0.4]
Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: warning: SASL authentication failure: no user in db
Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: 859B9BD6C: client=boss.seibercom.net[192.168.0.4], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=gerard at seibercom.net

All of the users are authenticated. Exactly what is it referring to and how do I correct it? The mail does get relayed however, so it is not a fatal warning.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net