FYI: USB wireless on FreeBSD 6.1 Release via ural driver

Jonathan Fosburgh jonathan at fosburgh.org
Tue Aug 8 12:49:37 UTC 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 13:35, Andrew Gould wrote:
> Given the occasional question regarding wireless
> adapters on this list, and that I didn't see this in
> the hardware notes, I thought I'd post a message:
>
> The D-Link DWL-G122 version B1 is compatible with
> FreeBSD 6.1 Release on the i386 architecture.  This is
> a USB, 802.11g adapter.  Please note that the hardware
> version number is important as some manufacturers like
> to change chipsets without changing model numbers.
>
> This adapter uses the ural driver.  When I plugged the
> adapter into the USB port, it was identified correctly
> as ural0.  Network configuration using ifconfig was
> standard, except that the wlan_wep module had to be
> loaded manually before the adapter could be configured
> with a WEP code.
>
> You can find a list of compatible, adapters in the
> ural man page.  Remember to pay close attention to
> hardware version numbers.

FYI, when I get around to it, I will be submitting patches to usbdevs to
support the Nova Tech NV902W Unwire USB 802.11b/g adapter.  It also uses the
ural driver and works great with two caveats.  One is that (along with all
ural NICs, it seems) is unstable with wpa so I had to go back to wep.  The
other caveat is that the link light does not come on, but it does when run
under Windows.  The activity light does work.  I get good signal, either full
speed or down to 48mbps.
--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator