BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 07:15:33 UTC 2006

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> I think it would help uptake if when the bsdstats job is first run, it
>> issues you with a 'registered system number' -- then all of the folks
>> with low numbered systems get bragging rights...
>
> Actually, there is no "registered system number", as there is no
> "registration process" ... that was the key requirement for doing this,
> was that it was as "hands off" as possible, and having to go to a web
> site to register each and every host was just too onerous of a task ...

Yeah.  You've leapt on the word 'register' there, and not addressed the
salient point.  'Register' as in 'become cognisant of', and distinguished
from 'signed up to.'  Even though the process is simplified and automatic,
you're still registering systems.

Having some sort of return from the central stats machine when the periodic
script runs, (rather than nothing at all, as at the moment) would be a good
idea.  Giving each system an index number shouldn't cost too much.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW