BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 8 04:50:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, andrew clarke wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 04:14:50PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> right now, we are at ~200 hosts checking in, from various time zones (see
>> http://bsdstats.hub.org/bsd_statistics.php for countries that have checked
>> in so far) ... so, even at month end, taking into consideration time zones,
>> I don't expect a major hit ... now, if we get to 10's of thousands of hosts,
>> which I'd *love*, then I may worry, but by then, I'll have a Dual-Core
>> Dual CPU server in place that I can move the whole thing over onto ...
>
> This is good, but what is stopping someone with an axe to grind from
> writing a rogue script to report fictional results?

Unfortunately, nothing ... and, also unfortunately, after extensive
discussions on this list with others about possible ways to avoid it,
there really isn't anything short of a 'required registration procedure'
that can be done for that ...

that said, someone from Germany tried that this morning, submitting 41
'hosts' that were quite obviously bogus (FreeBSD 8.x anyone?) and were
easily removed from the system ...

----