SAMBA as Domain Controller on FreeBSD 6.1

Pramod Venugopal pramod at dvnull.org
Tue Aug 8 00:27:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

There are quite a few guides to setting up Samba out there. For the
most part you can check out the guides even if they are for Samba on
Linux, since the procedure outside of actually installing Samba
through the package manager will be the same.

Here is one for setting up Samba as a PDC on Ubuntu
http://howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10

And if you want to know how to setup Samba with an LDAP backend
follow this guide.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=166108

As far as getting the packages, all of the above are available in ports.

If you wish to use the same LDAP database for your local user
authentication, then you can follow this guide:
http://www.cultdeadsheep.org/FreeBSD/docs/
Quick_and_dirty_FreeBSD_5_x_and_nss_ldap_mini-HOWTO.html

I am running a PDC at home on FreeBSD 6.1 and Samba/LDAP which works
pretty well.

Pramod Venugopal
pramod at dvnull.org