Thin terminals for FreeBSD

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Tue Aug 8 00:04:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:12:02AM +0200, cpghost wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:19:30PM +0200, Nagy L?szl? wrote:
> > - Are there any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?
>
> Locking over NFS is a bit buggy. I had some trouble running thunderbird
> and firefox, as they seem to hang on some thr_*() call, and gconfd can
> be a bitch too over NFS, if the permissions on an NFS-mounted /tmp are
> not set correctly (/tmp as md ramdisk is fine though). No other known
> pitfalls here so far.

Just one addition: instead of running firefox and thunderbird
locally on the diskless nodes, you can also run them remotely on a
box with locally mounted filesystems (using DISPLAY, which is set
automatically when you use 'ssh -Y'); the thr_*() hangs disappear then.
They must be NFS-related somehow. Oh, if you run X apps remotely,
you don't need more than 256 MB RAM on the thin clients; perhaps
even less, but you'll have to test this yourself.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/