Cheap terminals for FreeBSD

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Mon Aug 7 22:17:49 UTC 2006

 Hello,

I need to setup an environment where some users (10 to 20 employees)
will use terminals to run programs. They need to run a few popular
programs: thunderbird, firefox, adobe acrobat, openoffice and gaim. This
site will be a customer service. We decided to reduce the costs by using
Open Source software and cheap terminal computers. This is a good
solution because most of the users will read messages and images on the
screen and they can share the same processor and memory. I know that I
can setup a computer and use its X server as a terminal for another
computer. This solution still requires new (or used) computers. I would
like to reduce the costs to the minimum. Here are some key questions
that I could not answer:

- Is there a more cost-effective solution? (Something that I did not
think of)
- How much RAM will I need? Will FireFox Thunderbird and OpenOffice load
shared objects and reduce the overall memory usage? Or should I reserve
256MB of memory for each client?
- Do I need to use gigabit ethernet? Or is it enough to use a normal 100
Mbps wired network? I heard that there can be bandwidth problems when
using many terminals, but I do not have experience.
- Are there any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?

It would be perfect to provide links to some articles or manuals - I do
not need anyone to write detailed instuctions and do my job. I'm asking
for help because the handbook was not very useful in this case. I only
found this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/term.html#TERM-X

It does not help too much, and there is no know-how. I need to know what
hardware I need to buy.

Thank you

  Laszlo