Mount Point permissions

Bob Richards bob at tania.servebbs.org
Mon Aug 7 21:56:31 UTC 2006

Hi All:

This is week 3 on a new freebsd 6.1 install. I LOVE it!

I am having a silly problem using my floppy drive. I can successfully fdformat
a new floppy, I can newfs it, I can mount it OK.... what I can not do is
write to it!

My fstab line is: /dev/fd0 /usr/home/bob/floppy ufs rw,noauto,user 0 0

After a format, lable, and newfs, I can:
  "mount -t ufs /dev/fd0 /home/bob/floppy" ok.

The permissions on mount-point /home/bob/floppy are 770 with bob:bob

After the mount operation I see:

ls -al floppy
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Aug 7 11:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 60 bob bob 4096 Aug 7 11:03 ..
drwxrwxr-x 2 root operator 512 Aug 7 11:22 .snap

And of course, bob can only read, but not write.

$ touch floppy/test
touch: floppy/test: Permission denied

How can I correct the post-mount permissions?

TIA Bob