/etc/fstab error and I can't start the system normally

micman micman at free.fr
Mon Aug 7 20:26:30 UTC 2006

Hello.

PROBLEM
I tried and configured FreeBSD 6.1 for many days and I mounted my FAT extended partition to exchange my files between Windows and my new Operating System. That was OK. After I tried to mount automatically at boot this partition and I make an error (grammatical error): I wrote “acd0s5” instead of “ad0s5” in /etc/fstab.
Now, when I start the system, I receive this message at the end of the boot process:
"Can't open (No such file or directory)
/dev/acd0s5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_msdosfs MANUALLY.
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
msdosfs: /dev/acd0s5 (/mnt/win)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Aug 7 20:08:07 int: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"

QUESTIONS
Can I rewrite the file /etc/fstab in text mode?
If it's possible, how can I do this?

I tried fsck_manually and also to boot by option '6' ("Escape to loader") but I was not able to resolve the problem.
If someone can help me, thank you.