BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 7 19:14:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, questions at totaldiver.net wrote:

> While I'm definately interested in the statistical reporting,  I do have
> one suggestion:
>
> Add a random "sleep" time to the update.
>
> Otherwise,  the reporting server is gonna get HAMMERED once a month,
> assuming this project gains any kind of momentum.
>
> A random sleep timer at the beginning of the script over (for example) a 3
> hour window could make the load bearable for the checkin server.    Just
> something to consider.

To be totally honest, 'load n the checkin server' isn't something I'm
terribly worried about ... right now, we are at ~200 hosts checking in,
from various time zones (see http://bsdstats.hub.org/bsd_statistics.php
for countries that have checked in so far) ... so, even at month end,
taking into consideration time zones, I don't expect a major hit ... now,
if we get to 10's of thousands of hosts, which I'd *love*, then I may
worry, but by then, I'll have a Dual-Core Dual CPU server in place that I
can move the whole thing over onto ...

IMHO, its going to be a slow ramp up over a long period of time, but, as I
mentioned earlier ... it has to start somewhere, and we've accomplished
that ... now to get everyone actually checking in, now that will be a feat
to see :)

I've also contacted folks @ NetBSD, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD about
participating ... again, our aim is to show that the *BSD camp is a market
to look at, not just a group of hobbiests ...