Sendmail Question; unable to send mail as normal user

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Aug 7 18:46:29 UTC 2006

Greg Groth wrote:
>> I've gotten a bit further this weekend but I'm not 'there' yet. I
>> could sucessfully send a e-mail by using 'mail' as normal user at my
>> server. Allthough when I tried to send an e-mail from my laptop with
>> my server as smtp server it kept prompting for my password and this
>> is what was displayed in /var/log/maillog :

<snip>

>> Many thanks,
>>

> Telnet to port 25 on the mail server.  Once connected, issue an EHLO
> command and look for the AUTH line - for example:
>
> # telnet localhost 25
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to localhost.servername.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail.servername.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.4/8.13.4; Mon, 7 Aug 2006
> 13:11:37 -0500 (CDT)
>
> EHLO localhost
>
> 250-mail.servername.com Hello localhost.servername.com [127.0.0.1],
> pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
>
> If you don't see PLAIN LOGIN, you have a problem in how Sendmail was
> compiled.
Hmm I guess that sould be the problem then:

root at Fstaals$ telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.eu.org
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Fstaals.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.3/8.13.3; Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:31:30
+0200 (CE
ST)
EHLO localhost
250-Fstaals.net Hello localhost.eu.org [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

I compiled sendmail with the following options:

root at Fstaals$ cat /etc/make.conf
# SASL (cyrus-sasl v2) sendmail build flags...
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
# Adding to enable alternate port (smtps) for sendmail...
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL
# added by use.perl 2006-03-02 22:35:07
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8

What should I do fix this ? Appart from those lines in /etc/make.conf I
didn't change anything regarding to the build of sendmail

Regards,

--
-Frank Staals