Sendmail Question; unable to send mail as normal user

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Aug 7 17:41:13 UTC 2006

Frank Staals wrote:
> I tried to setup my own mail and smtp-server with help from this
> webpage:  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html .
> I sucessfully installed imap-uw and I got it up successfully.
> Allthough the stmp-part doesn't work for 100% yet: I can send mail as
> root :
<snip>
Jonathan Horne wrote:
> greetings frank, this reply is out of the list.
>
> you need to at a minimum take a look at the file /etc/mail/access, or, as an
> even better alternative, consider installing/configuring sasl2-saslauthd and
> have people who send thru authenticate via plain.
>
> if you would like to see an article i wrote on this, if you follow it line by
> line, you should have no problems getting it to work.
>
> http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/Deploying_a_FreeBSD_Server#Configuring_Mail_Services
>
> if i can be of any assistance with my article, feel free to drop me a line.  i
> can be reached via this email address, or on aim/yahoo as LoudRedZ71.
>
> cheers and good luck,
> jonathan
>
> On Friday 04 August 2006 17:08, you wrote:
>
>> I tried to setup my own mail and smtp-server with help from this
<snip>

I've gotten a bit further this weekend but I'm not 'there' yet. I could
sucessfully send a e-mail by using 'mail' as normal user at my server.
Allthough when I tried to send an e-mail from my laptop with my server
as smtp server it kept prompting for my password and this is what was
displayed in /var/log/maillog :

Aug  5 11:40:36 FStaals sm-mta[101]: k759eEva000101: Riza.FStaals.LAN
[192.168.2.5] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to IPv4

When I googled if I could find a solution I came to this page :
http://www.issociate.de/board/post/246978/did_not_issue_MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN_during_connection_to_MTA.html
The solution oppered there was to add ' mech_list: login plain' to
/usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf . So I did and it kind of worked,
allthough now I can only send e-mail to other users at my server ( for
example root ), when I try to mail to an external adress my log 'says'
my message is rejected:

Aug  5 13:10:30 FStaals sm-mta[1495]: k75BATko001495:
ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<
frankstaals at gmx.net>, relay=Riza.FStaals.LAN [192.168.2.5], reject=550
5.7.1 <fr
ankstaals at gmx.net>... Relaying denied
Aug  5 13:10:34 FStaals sm-mta[1495]: k75BATko001495: lost input channel
from Ri
za.FStaals.LAN [192.168.2.5] to IPv4 after rcpt
Aug  5 13:10:34 FStaals sm-mta[1495]: k75BATko001495:
from=<frank at fstaals.net>,
size=373, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=IPv4,
relay=Riza.FStaals.LAN [1
92.168.2.5]

I'm not sure what I have to do to get working correctly and I was hoping
someone could give me some hints what I'm doing wrong. Also I'm not sure
if it's a good idea to add the 'mech_list: login plain' to sasl2's
Sendmail.conf ? Last but not least : I want sendmail to use SSL and
listen to port 465. sockstat shows It isn't listening to that port, but
I think it should, does anyone happen to know what it is I'm doing wrong
at that point:

root at FStaals$ sockstat -4 | grep sendmail
root     sendmail   1410  3  tcp4   *:25                  *:*
root     sendmail   1410  5  tcp4   *:587                 *:*

root at FStaals$ cat /etc/mail/FStaals.net.cf | grep smtps
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s

Many thanks,

--
-Frank Staals

--