[freebsd-questions] awk quickie.

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Sun Aug 6 22:23:24 UTC 2006

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Guys,
>
> 	Can aanybody spot what I'm doing wrong in this tiny awk scripy::

Using awk is what you are doing wrong ;-) Assuming that this is all you
are doing with the list, anyway...

 From the grep manpage:
"       -l, --files-with-matches
              Suppress  normal  output;  instead  print the name of each
input
              file from which output would normally have  been
printed.   The
              scanning will stop on the first match."

The awk answer is that the printf shouldn't be in the BEGIN section, I
think. It's been a while for me and awk though. Something more like:

#!/usr/bin/awk
BEGIN { FS = ":" }
      {  printf("%s\n", $1) }

would do it. Also see cut(1) which can select fields based on delmiters.
I don't know if the traditional perception of 'heaviness' associated
with loading a 'real language' interpreter really hold true nowadays though.

Have fun!

Howie