Will not boot from halt

Hans Ottevanger hansot at iae.nl
Sun Aug 6 12:45:37 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
>> Then I could let it set and either cut the power or hit a key
>> and make it reboot.
>>
>> But.    Now, I do the shutdown -h now and it goes down to that
>> halted state with the same message.    But, when I hit a key
>> it seems to ignore it and just sits there and seems to do nothing.
>> To reboot then, I have to kill the power and turn it back on.
>>
>> I am not trying to get it to go all the way down to poweroff -
>> just sit there and wait for me to hit a key for a reboot - without
>> doing a poweroff, which worked fine under FreeBSD 4.xxx
>>
>> Has anyone noticed something like this?   Is it an OS change/bug
>> or did I probably do something weird when I did the reinstall.
>> It is more of an annoyance than a big problem, but something isn't
>> right.
>>
>> By the way, shutdown -r now seems to work as expected.
>
> I have the exact same problem after updating from FBSD 5.4. I had
> thought it was just me.

Here I had exactly the same problem on my ancient laptop running
6.1-STABLE. I solved the problem by removing the kbdmux device from my
kernel configuration. This laptop uses the atkbd driver for the keyboard.

I also verified this on a Pentium 4, also using an AT keyboard: if
kbdmux is in the kernel configuration the problem occurs, if it is not,
the system behaves normally when using "shutdown -h now".

So I advise to delete or comment the line:

device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer

from your kernel configuration file and recompile the kernel.

You probably do not need kbdmux if you use just one single type of keyboard.

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger