(no subject)

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Aug 4 22:28:58 UTC 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 17:27, Ron Clark wrote:
> OK, I have rebuilt the box again and this time installed Mysql Server
> 4.1 from the packages. No errors during the install.
>
> When I try and start mysql, I get the following error:
> test2# /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &
> [1] 781
> test2# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file /var/db/mysql/test2.pid
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld ended
>

> [1]    Done                          /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe
>

> If I cat the .err file it writes, this is what it says:
>
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld started
> 060804  9:48:33  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
> operation.
> InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
> InnoDB: the directory.
> InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
> InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
> InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
> 060804 09:48:33  mysqld ended
>
> How do I fix this and get Mysql Server to start?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ron

OK, I once had the same problem. I am assuming that you attempted to start and
configure MySQL manually after installing it. First of all, make sure you
have :

mysql_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf file.

Now navigate to the /var/db directory. Either rename or delete the mysql
directory. You have nothing in it since you did not get MySQL running. Now
either reboot or navigate to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and as root type:

	./mysql-server start

It is possible yours is named different, so substiture the correct file name.
That should create the directory with the proper permissions, etc. Now you
can procede to configure MySQL for your users, etc.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

A person forgives only when they are in the wrong.