Midnight Commander in base distribution set

Andrew Gould andrewgould at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 16:13:19 UTC 2006

--- Scott Oertel <freebsd at scottevil.com> wrote:

> Bryan Bonifacio wrote:
> > The ports and packages are also available from the
> CD-ROMs (either the first or the second).
> >
> > --
> > Bryan
> >
> > "Renat S. Nurgaliyev" <renat at nursat.net> wrote:
> Hello!
> >
> > Please, please, please, include Midnight Commander
> into the future
> > releases of FreeBSD! It is extremely time-safing
> and lightweight tool. It can be
> > installed from ports, but what about disconnected
> PC's? Thanks a lot.
> >
> > With Best Regards,
> > Renat S. Nurgaliyev
> > Data Network Engineer
> >

> I use midnight commander on a daily basis, can
> anyone recommend a
> better, more lightweight tool then  mc?
>

> -Scott Oertel

I would also like to hear recommendations for
alternatives to mc that are light weight, work on the
command line **and** are either included on the
FreeBSD installation CD or would be appropriate
additions to the installation CD.

mc makes it much easier/faster to finish configuring
the OS after a clean installation; so it's always the
first application I pkg_add from the ftp site.  It
would be nice to have an application with mc's basic
features on the installation CD, especially since
immediate internet access cannot be assumed.

Andrew L. Gould