binary upgrade issues

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 4 05:43:21 UTC 2006

John Rogers wrote:
> Installing new kernel into /boot/GENERIC... done.
> Moving /boot/kernel to /boot/kernel.old... done.
> Moving /boot/GENERIC to /boot/kernel... done.
> Removing schg flag from existing files...
>
> Then my connection to the server froze and I found the server rebooted
> itself.  After login I found it was 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
> #0: Sun May  7 04:32:43 UTC 2006.
>
> Don't know why it rebooted, and my concern it: had it finished
> upgrading?

Probably not.

> I looked into the upgrade.sh and found it should continue
> working on files referred in old-index, new-index-nonkern, new-index.
> However none of these files were found in the directory.  Also I am
> worried whether the schg flags were recovered.  How can I check these?

Sounds like a generic case of 'system crashed and recently created files
weren't written to disk yet'.  I'm really suspicious of the hardware here,
but I'd suggest
1. mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.new
2. mv /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel
3. reboot (back into 6.0-RELEASE)
4. Run the script again and hope that it manages to finish installing everything
this time.

Colin Percival