**SPAM** binary upgrade issues

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 3 21:09:49 UTC 2006

John Rogers wrote:
> Hi, I was upgrading following Colin's "FreeBSD 6.0 to FreeBSD 6.1
> binary upgrade"
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-upgrade-6.0-to-6.1/
>
> but it failed.  I installed freebsd 6.0 release and only used Colin's
> freebsd-update to updae before.  There is plenty of free space on that
> partition.  What do you advise me to do to finish the upgrade?

Based on what you pasted below, I suggest
1. Figure out why /usr/bin/gdbtui can't be read.  In particular, make
sure your hard drive isn't dying.
2. The error which made the script terminate is either due to a dying
hard drive or a network problem which made it impossible to fetch some
files.  Re-run the script; it won't bother fetching files which it
already has.

Note that at this point all the script has done is to examine your
system and download files; it won't start actually upgrading anything
until it makes sure that it has all the files it needs. :-)

> I also wonder why these binary update and upgrade are not legitimized
> in the freebsd core distribution.  An important reason why linux is
> used by more is its easy update solution similar to Microsoft's
> Windows Update.  Sure "make world" is fun especially to developers.
> But providing easy update and upgrade tools in addition will attract a
> large user base who just need a stable and easy to use operation
> system - and many of them can be companies who can be potential donors
> to the freebsd project.  So the effort to this path will be well
> rewarded.

We're moving in that direction.  Everything starts out by being experimental
before becoming officially supported and endorsed.

Colin Percival