Changing user password from command line

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 2 23:52:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday,  2 August 2006 at 16:48:48 +0700, Mike Fern wrote:
> Dear all,
> Does anybody know a program which is able to change user password from
> command line?

Of course.  I thought it was the only way.

   $ man -k password
   passwd(1), yppasswd(1)   - modify a user's password

From that man page:

   HISTORY
        A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.

By comparison, pw(8) is a newcomer.  In fact, the passwd command was
in the Third Edition of Research UNIX, back in 1973.

Greg