best way to copy from one fbsd box to another

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 08:16:33 UTC 2006

On 8/1/06, John Nielsen <lists at jnielsen.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:04, Bill Moran wrote:
> > > I am installing a new server and have to copy many files from old server
> > > to new. I have connected a windows box to each via samba, and am dragging
> > > from one to the other via the windows box.
> > >
> > > This might seem like a silly question, but what is the way to copy
> > > -directly- from one fbsd box to another?
> >
> > Usually NFS or scp.  There are other choices, though.
>
> For many situations my favorite is tar+netcat (w/ optional bzip2 compression).
>
> On the destination host:
>         cd /some/path
>         nc -l 1234 | tar -xjvf -
>
> And on the source host:
>         cd /some/path
>         tar -cjvf - relative/path/to/source/dir | nc destip 1234
>
> If you don't want compression leave out the 'j' flag in both calls to tar.
>
> scp is your best bet if you need encryption though (take note of the -r and -C
> flags).

I'll 2nd netcat... one of the most versatile tool I've come across in
UNIX land!

http://www.securitydocs.com/library/3376
http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html
http://www.stearns.org/doc/nc-intro.current.html

One thing I'd like to add to Johns comment is to not use compression
if your on a GigE network, The overhead required to do this will max
out the CPU, the net effect being very slow transfer rates. It also
helps to not use tar -v, you will miss error messages if you use -v
because the SNR is very low, it consumes CPU time too.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/