Unable to Print

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 2 01:37:27 UTC 2006

At 5:05 PM -0400 8/1/06, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>FreeBSD 6.1
>
>The printer on my system is connected to a WinXP machine.
>I installed apsfilter to configure the print setup.
>Everything appears to be working and I can print to the
>printer from within apsfilter.
>
>However, when I attempt to print either from the command
>line or from within KDE, I receive this error message:
>
>lpr: Error - scheduler not responding!
>
>I cannot find out what is causing it. I even did a reboot
>but the message continues. I Googled for a solution but
>they all seemed to involve cups and I do not want to
>install that if not necessary. I had another machine
>configured similar to this but using FBSD 5.4 that
>worked just fine.

Check to see if you have multiple versions of 'lpr'
running.  *If* you do, then the results that you see
will probably depend on which version you run.

It might be that KDE was compiled to expect CUPS.  I
do not use KDE, and I do not use CUPS, but you might
want to see if there is some "NO_CUPS" option for the
KDE port.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org