How to make ADSL modem conections FBSD 6.1

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Aug 1 17:06:49 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 05:15, Bryan Bonifacio wrote:
> Hi JC,
>
> I suggest you have your ADSL modem changed to a
> non-USB one (an ethernet one instead). Those are much
> easier to configure and you could connect them
> directly to your router.
>
> I used to have a USB ADSL modem myself but had it
> changed so I wouldn't have to deal with them (I wasn't
> sure if they were compatible anyways). I imagine your
> ISP has an etherenet ADSL modem available.

The most straightforward solution is an Ethernet ADSL-router.

Ethernet modems are fine if you live in a part of the world where PPPoE is the
normal way of delivering ADSL, otherwise there are pitfalls.

USB modem drivers are a problem with FreeBSD, there's an Alcatel driver in
the port net/pppoa, and there is an Eagle chipset driver here:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ueagle/faq.html