Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Aug 1 06:22:24 UTC 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 12:14 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Sun's compiler and
> some other
> programs of theirs are serialized and when you buy them you have to
> send in
> the
> cpu serial number to Sun who generates a key that will only allow the
> compiler
> to run on that system.  If you move the compiler you have to get
> another key
> and
> certify to Sun with a legal document that you will not run it on
> the old
> system, etc.
>
> At least that was how it worked last I dealt with that about 7
> years ago.

That aspect has probably changed now since Solaris 10 is free as are
the dev tools... (Sun Studio)

They have open sourced solaris and some of the more interesting
things are supposedly being ported to FreeBSD.  Dtrace (we have had
announcements of that here) and also ZFS!  (which is way cool -- I am
implementing a Solaris ZFS based server to do nfs file system sharing
to my FreeBSD machines).

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC