dirty reboots on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE

Mathias Menzel-Nielsen matze at matzsoft.de
Sun Apr 30 16:37:01 UTC 2006

Hi

I just moved to FreeBSD amd64 for my desktop after i have run the i386
port successfully for many years.

Most things are fine as usual, but i have some problems with the linux
compatibility abi:

I installed linux-firefox on a rh-9 base and it works fine but if i
access websites with flash-content on them
the system sometimes hangs for about 10 seconds and then reboots in a
dirty way (like a hard reset) leaving
all discs unflushed.

Is the linux comp. abi not able to deal with x86 binaries on amd64?

Another issue is that, though the native jdk-1.5 is working fine, the
linux-jdk-1.4.2 vm (x86) just
hangs at 100% cpu every once and when, especially the linux-firefox plugin.

There are no panics or hintful entries in /var/log/* after reboot

hyperkobold# uname -a
FreeBSD hyperkobold 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov  2
19:07:38 UTC 2005     root at rat.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64

Thanks for any tips