Antivirus to scan files before going onto a Windows machine: clamav?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Apr 29 19:42:07 UTC 2006

Jim Stapleton wrote:

> Anyone have experience with ClamAV? Good, Bad, Ugly?
>
> Should I use something else, or is the only good alternative
> pay/expensive (such as avast)?
> Am I better at leaving the antivirus stuff to the Windows machine
> (which has McAfee Enterprise)?
>
> Background:
> System lags occasionally, and has crashed a few times, and is getting
> disk errors (both HDs, one IDE, one SATA started this at the same
> time). I suspect the motherboard, but can't be certain, could be Mem
> or PSU.
>
> Could also be virus.
>
> So, I want to scan my backed up files while reinstalling Windows on
> the other machine, before letting them go back home to play.
>
> Thanks
> -Jim

Personally, I use ZoneAlarm Suite on my WinXP machines. I have several
networked together with my FreeBSD machine.

On several occasions, ZoneAlarm has caught a virus that ClamAV missed
during mail scanning. I am not sure why though. From what I could gather,
the ClamAV signatures had not caught up to the new virus. I reload the
Clamav signatures every 4 hours. The ZoneAlarm signatures are done once
a day, however.

Just my 2¢.

--
Gerard Seibert