permissions dilemma

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sat Apr 29 00:30:45 UTC 2006

Hello:
I have had a problem with installing MySQL 5.0.18 on a FreeBSD v 6.0
installation
where everything seems to compile and install correctly but the server
crashes
immediately on start up with permission to create/write it's .pid file
denied.
Then the screen saver daemon refuses to start in X windows with a
permission denied
error. It originally worked fine. But at some point recently the screen
saver quit working.
When I went to Gnome preferences and tried to set the screen saver I was
informed that the screen saver daemon wasn't running. When I tried to
have it
start I was presented with the permission denied error and to check the
$path
variable.
I tried installing MySQL twice, each time with the same problem.
As I understand it, permissions in Unix are part of the file system
format.
The only possible link between MySQL and the screen saver daemon,
possibly, is the
mysql user needed to run mysqld.

Could I have a corrupted file system in such a way as to cause
permission problems?

thanks in advance.
JK