Intel Macs and FreeBSD?

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Apr 27 20:52:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:47:37 -0500
James Riendeau <jtriende at wisc.edu> wrote:

> Why?  Mac OS X has a complete unix freebsd-like core called darwin
> ( http://www.darwin.org ).  There's no reason to install freebsd on
> it.  Just install Mac Developer Tools (included in the Applications
> folder), compile your favorite progs and go.

Have you actually tried this?  Installing ports from FreeBSD is about
50x easier than getting software compiled/installed on a Mac.  I've
been working with the Macs here at the office for a few weeks, and I've
come to realize just how wonderfully well-maintained FreeBSD's ports
are!

I'd take FreeBSD over MacOS any day.  Perhaps it will get better over
time, but I'm not impressed with it right now.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.