Updated 6.1 schedule?

Alex de Kruijff akruijff at dds.nl
Thu Apr 27 15:07:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:50:56AM +0200, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:

> > > However, the dates on the schedule page seem to be a little off
> > > now.   I was wondering if anyone had some idea of what the new
> > > dates might be... if there's no idea; then I will patiently wait.
> >
> > You guess is as good as mine. It could take a couple of months.
> >
> > > I've got a few 4.10 machines that could do with an upgrade,
> > > and I don't think moving to 5.4 is the way to go...  So,
> > > I'm pending waiting on 6.1.
> >
> > There's no need to wait with that. I run 6.0 and 6.1 since BETA4 and I
> > have not seen any problems. You can use CVS to updated your sources and
> > compile your own version. See the manual on how to do this.
>
> in my understanding upgrading from 4.x to 6.x needs to go through 5.x.
> check the archives/website for it ( i did a clean install to upgrade
> from 4.x to 6.x ).

It depends on how you want to upgrade. I read both reinstall/reconfigure
and real upgrade in the wordt upgrade here.

If you choice to reinstall then you could go straith to 6. This is
needed to gain the full features. You can only use USF2 if you have done
this.

If you choice to upgrade fully though CVS then it may be smart to first
upgrade to 4-stable, then 5.3, then 5-stable, then 6.0 and then 6.1.
This also means you will not get the full features of 6.

--
Alex