during boot aue0

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 27 13:27:29 UTC 2006

Tony Angelo wrote:
> Hello, All
>
> What does this string (i get it during boot) :
>
> aue0: if_start running deferred for Giant
>
> Who is Giant ? :-)
>
> Thanks

I believe "Giant" is a reference to the a portion of the internal task
scheduler's universal lock in FreeBSD's kernel and can be
enabled/disabled by using the ADAPTIVE_GIANT directive in the kernel
config file.

It may also be a fault in the way that either the driver for your
network card is written or lack of support which is causing that issue
to come up, as well.

Here's a document on the supposed "Giant Lock", by the world famous (or
at least FreeBSD famous ;).) Greg Lehey:
<http://www.lemis.com/grog/SMPng/Singapore/paper.pdf>, and if you
google "Giant deferred", you'll find a few documents that I'm referring
to in the *BSD world.

-Garrett