Help needed compiling printer source code

P.U.Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Wed Apr 26 16:58:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

>>> I've set up a printer.
>>>
>>> location: lpt0
>>> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
>>> device URI: parallel:/dev/lpt0
>>>
>>> Printing the test page does not work, the job is aborted with error:
>>> client-error-not-possible
>> The most probable reason for this is that some user permissions are set
>> incorrectly. We have to analyze this step by step.
>> 1) Try to print directly from the command line:
>>      # printf "Hello World \f" > /dev/lpt0
>>    If your printer is connected correctly to your parallel port,
>>    *something* should be printed out.
>
> as user I get "cannot create /dev/lpt0: Permission denied"
That is o.k.. You should try to setup your printer as root first
anyway: you always can solve problems with lower user permissions
later on.

> as root I get a blank page
So at least your printer can print the form feed character "\f"
                                :-)

As Robert Huff suggested in his mail one reason might be wrong
permissions of your spooler directory.
2) If you haven't set it otherwise it should be found at
      /var/spool/cups
3)   # cd /var/spool/
      # ls -l
    should show this
      drwx--x---  3 root   daemon  1536 26 Apr 19:44 cups
4) Inside /var/spool/cups you should find some files with
    names like
      c00001
      c00002
      c00003
    and so on, each representing one print job.

Regards,

Uli.