Horrible: Apache corrupting files?

Thomas Ludwig tludwig at smr.ch
Wed Apr 26 09:47:58 UTC 2006

> If the problem is Apache, though, it doesn't explain the other problems I've
> been having, like the corrupted ftp uploads. Perhaps they are unrelated? Or
> perhaps Apache is not the problem?

I recommend checking your hardware.  I had a similar problem with huge
files, although unrelated to Apache.  Files bigger than ~2GB would
*seem* to be corrupted.  I suspect its the hard disk drive, because
lowering the ATA bus speed (atacontrol mode ad0 UDMA33) made this
problem go away (the drive is a SAMSUNG SP1614N TM100-24).  This
problem occurred with different motherboard chipsets and different
versions of FreeBSD (5-stable, 6-PRERELEASE), so I really think it is
the hard disk drive.

Bye,
Thomas