Bind as a chaching nameserver

Richard Collyer richard at firebadger.net
Tue Apr 25 22:50:18 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've recently been getting a lot of trouble with SpamAssassin performing
a lot of rDNS lookups which is causing network issues (timeouts etc to
DNS servers).

I am trying to install BIND (or djbdns) as a simple caching nameserver.
Just to take some of the load off the networks DNS servers (my ISPs).

However I am having trouble finding a good tutorial to follow.

I've looked at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.html
but its mainly going on about being a nameserver which is not what I am
after, wanting to keep it more simple than that.

[root at brian:/usr/local/etc] $ named -v
BIND 9.3.1

Can anyone suggest me a good tutorial to follow, I've googled but mostly
they are for debain/redhat and some of the commands and files are different.

Cheers
Richard