AWT

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Tue Apr 25 17:28:21 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 11:53, Per Dahlstrøm wrote:
> I am a happy user of FREEBSD, or rather I were happy but still a user.
> Actually it is my WebHotel running FREEBSD, which I became aware of in a
> not so pleasant way.
>
> While developing my site I realised that I could not use Java AWT and
> Swing packages. My Hotel supplier then informed me that AWT and Swing is
> not available at the moment.
>
> So, here is my question: Is it true?

FreeBSD supports Java and has for some time.  As far as I know, any JRE or JDK
based on Java 1.4.2 or 1.5.0 will support both AWT and Swing.

A recent development made it much easier to obtain and run run "native"
FreeBSD java packages, obviating the need in most cases to run a Linux binary
and/or to compile the JDK from source.  See
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml for more information.

JN