A portupgrade question

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Apr 25 09:32:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:42:44AM +0930, Ian Moore wrote:
> So to sum up, it's a problem with the way the ports system detects wether the
> mysql-client port is installed that caused the problem (I thought it just
> used the ports database), and/or it's a problem with the mysql-client port
> not registering libmysqlclient.so ?

Using the ports database to determine if a particular piece of software
is installed is not terribly robust - what if you installed mysql
manually?  The ports system would know nothing about it, but you
certainly wouldn't want your manually built package to get clobbered
because of an apparently failed dependency.

Well, that's my take on it, any way.  I could be well off the mark.  ;-)

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \