When 5.5-stable?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Apr 25 04:20:25 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 06:31:39PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 03:20:19PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	About a week ago I finally upgraded my DNS server from 5.3-S
> > 	to 5.5.  I see that I still caught a -prerelease" kernel.
> > 	Any ETA of when 5.5 will be -stable?   (Most of my other
> > 	FBSD server can be not quite//less than stable.  But if my
> > 	DNS srver bites the dust,  .... )
>
> No-one is really working on back-porting changes to 5.5, so what you
> see now is likely to be almost identical to what you'll get as
> 5.5-release.
>
> > 	Also, is 5.5 the LAST of the 5's?
>
> Yes, development of the branch is effectively ended since the world
> has moved on to 6.x.  The only reason 5.5 was released was to batch up
> some of the changes made since 5.4, mostly made last year.

	Makes sense, thanks.  I'm at 5.4 and 5.5 everywhere so the
	next step is to move to 6.   I'm only a bit surprised that
	things went to well with 5.5.  (But then FBSD has only
	crashed one time in ten years, :-), and that speaks volumes.

	gary

	PS:  Any big gotchas in goingfrom 5.5 -> 6.1???  Kris?
	     Anybody??  -g

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix