FreeBSD architecture [was: (no subject)]

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Apr 24 22:57:11 UTC 2006

Andre Rodrigues wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I'm writring, to know information about FreeBSD (as it was your university
> that developed it), i'd like to know what is the  network's architecture and
> the operating system's architecture,know how they communicate between each
> layer, and finally to know how the data are transmitted between 2 or more
> freeBSD's if it's by bursts or bit a bit.
> Hope your reply, as soon as possible.
>
> Thank you for your information,
> Best Regards.

Hmm; I can't recall ever owning a university.  Went
to one for a while, though ;-)

FreeBSD is freely available, and controlled by the
FreeBSD Project.  The address "questions at freebsd.org"
is a public mailing list.

In a poor attempt to actually answer your questions,
I'd recommend you search for Marshall Kirk McCusick's
"Design & Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System".

Other documentation can be found at the Project website,
www.freebsd.org.  The Handbook is of general interest, and
there are a number of other books and articles freely available
for download that address other aspects of the operating system,
ranging from mildly technical to rather seriously technical
in nature.

And data is transferred by any of a number of protocols, of
which TCP/IP is the most common; as for "bursts" vs. "bit by
bit", it's neither and both, depending on the nature of your
pipeline....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
FreeBSD user ....

--
The speed of anything depends on the flow of everything.