bind and multiple a records

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon Apr 24 16:08:49 UTC 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>> On FreeBSD 6.0 with bind9, if I define a host to have multiple A
>> records, such that some IP addresses are listed more than once,
>> for example:
> [ ... ]
>> Will those addresses listed more than once show up more often as
>> the "answer" to name server requests (or more often as the first
>> address since it lists all addresses in response alternating the
>> order)??
>
> The last I'd heard, BIND implemented multiple-RR round-robin'ing
> but not relative weighting if a RR is specified several times.

Too bad that they don't have the simplest implementation, which would
be just to cycle through the entries as found in the declaration
file.  No explicit weighting would be necessary.

> Note that you're probably never going to achieve fine-grained
> control by using DNS load-balancing anyway, since client-side
> caching behavior is more significant than what your side does.

Not needing fine grained control.  Say I have 3:2 defined in the
declaration.  Anywhere from 1:1 to 2:1 at any moment in time would be
ok...  Just a general distribution.

> If you actually need load-balancing to do something, you're better
> off implementing it between a front-end DTS box (an Alteon or
> something like that if need be) and a bunch of back-end servers
> which actually implement meaningful load-balancing based on the
> workload of your back-end servers...

If it were worth the money to do so I would agree...

Chad