Changing Default Shell

John Cruz cruzweb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:12:07 UTC 2006

I'm running freeBSD 6 release (FreeBSD taurus.cruz 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
6.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan  2 01:42:42 EST 2006
root at fileserv.cruz:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FILESERV  i386) and for whatever
reason, i'm stuck in bourne. Sure, I can type "bash" and open a new
shell that way, but it will not let me change the default at all :( I've
tried bin, csh, and tsch, all with the same result: invalid argument.

Here are my shells (from /etc/shells)

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh
/usr/local/bin/bash

I try to run chsh with flags, and I get this:
$ chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash
Password:
chsh: entry inconsistent
chsh: pw_copy: Invalid argument

I try to run without flags,and it gives me

/etc/pw.ej2LjB: 7 lines, 150 characters.
Password:
chsh: entry inconsistent
chsh: pw_copy: Invalid argument

Any help on this is much appreciated.