Upgrade path from 4.7 STABLE to 4.11 or 5.4

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Sun Apr 23 13:53:14 UTC 2006

Andreas Wideroe Andersen <andreas-ml at wideroe.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a 4.7 STABLE (production) server and I
> need to upgrade it to atleast 4.11 STABLE. What
> would be the best upgrade path inorder to
> minimize any problems? The server is located in a
> co-location 5 hours drive from where I'm so a
> network upgrade without problems would be perfect. :-)
>
> Should I just run a cvsup with RELENG 4_11 and
> upgrade src/ports, compile a new kernel and make
> world or should I go through the varous versions up to 4.11 step by step?
>
> Also, are there any imidiate problems upgrading 4.11 to 5.4?
>
> Thanks for your help!

I _believe_ that you can go from 4.7 straight to 4.11, but I don't know if
I've ever made that long of a jump.

I recommend setting up a test machine, locally, and trying out the upgrade
first.  Have a read of /usr/src/UPDATING - I expect there are a few
unusual steps you'll have to take, but they'll be documented there.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies