Help needed compiling printer source code

P.U.Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Apr 23 10:33:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> On 23/04/2006, at 5:25 PM, P.U.Kruppa wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install a Brother HL-1230 printer. I've been to the Brother
>>> web site and found that they don't have drivers for FreeBSD but they do
>>> provide the source code. I downloaded the source code. So far so good. I
>>> unzipped the tarball and had a look. There's the source code.
>>>

>>> I don't know what to do with it. I've learnt to type "make install clean".
>>> How do I make this code into something useful?
>>>
>>> sad kid :-(
>> I guess make install clean will not be enough for that.
>>
>> For a start have a look at
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing.html
>> and try to make your printer print "something" at all.
>> Also reading it will teach you some new words :-)
>>
>> Then there exist two well known programms which can help you to set up your
>> printer correctly
>> /usr/ports/print/apsfilter
>> and
>> /usr/ports/print/cups
>> I would try apsfilter first, since it works a bit more intuitively.
>

> Cups is installed and running. I've tried using a few of the other printer
> definitions without success. Printing the test page produces a blank page or
> a dozen blank pages. I was hoping to be able to compile the source code for
> the driver and put it somewhere that cups can find it.
O.K. - I see.
(Just out of interest: what happens if you try to print something
  simple (eg. a text file) from the command line
  # /usr/local/bin/lpr file.txt
  ?)

Did you also have a look at
http://linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hl1250&fromprinter=Brother-HL-1230
  ?

The standard way to build and install sources on UNIX would be:
   # tar zxf application.tgz
   # cd application
   # ./configure
   # make
   # make install
But often you find hints/READMES inside "application" directory
what else you have to do.

Uli.