Simluating a satellite connection using dummynet?

Dan Busarow dan at dpcsys.com
Sun Apr 23 04:21:47 UTC 2006

On Apr 22, 2006, at 9:40 PM, Philip Hallstrom wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> Odd question for you.  I have the opportunity to work from home,
> but it would require using a sat internet connection (no cable or
> dsl anywhere close).
>
> I've been reading up on it and best I can tell I'm looking at
> 1000ms round trips... at *best*.  Most of what I do I can do on
> servers at home, but there will be the occasional ssh, etc.
>
> I recently setup ipfw/dummynet with a pipe and a 750ms delay both
> in and out and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be -- at
> least for ssh/text.  Reminds me of my days on a 9600 baud modem. heh.
>
> I'm curious though whether this is a realistic test.  Thoughts?
>
> Any of you use satellite?  How do you find it?

I had StarBand for about two years.  1000ms RTT are the best you will
see.  pushing 2000ms is more like it.

While it is possible to work via an SSH session it will try your
patience.

It is doable, and it allowed me to move out to the country, but
that's about it.  I now have a terrestrial radio link into the
nearest town, 15 miles away, and it's beautiful.

Dan