Simluating a satellite connection using dummynet?

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Sun Apr 23 03:37:51 UTC 2006

Hi all -

Odd question for you.  I have the opportunity to work from home, but it
would require using a sat internet connection (no cable or dsl anywhere
close).

I've been reading up on it and best I can tell I'm looking at 1000ms round
trips... at *best*.  Most of what I do I can do on servers at home, but
there will be the occasional ssh, etc.

I recently setup ipfw/dummynet with a pipe and a 750ms delay both in and
out and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be -- at least for
ssh/text.  Reminds me of my days on a 9600 baud modem. heh.

I'm curious though whether this is a realistic test.  Thoughts?

Any of you use satellite?  How do you find it?

Thanks!

-philip