How do uninstall a package and all it's dependencies ?

Drew savagehrt at tconl.com
Sat Apr 22 20:21:51 UTC 2006

Patrick Bowen wrote:
> Low Kian Seong wrote:
>
>> The problem about the -R option is that normally that takes off stuff
>> like xorg-server and friends too ! Really not nice, or am I doing
>> something wrong ?
>>
>> On 4/20/06, *Patrick Bowen* <pbowen at fastmail.fm
>> <mailto:pbowen at fastmail.fm>> wrote:
>>
>>     Low Kian Seong wrote:
>>
>>     >Dear all,
>>     >
>>     >Been digging around but never really found the answer to this
>>     one, say if i
>>     >install xfce4 package and then later I want to uninstall xfce4
>>     and *all*
>>     >it's dependencies, how do i do it ?
>>     >
>>     >Thank you all in advance.
>>     >_______________________________________________
>>     >freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>     >To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>>     "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >

>>     Seong;
>>
>>     I do that fairly often when I'm just looking at packages. Try
>>     "pkg_deinstall -R package-name", where package-name is replaced
>>     with the
>>     name of the package you want to delete, in your case xfce4.
>>
>>     pkg_deinstall -R xfce4.
>>
>>     Patrick
>>

> If the dependancy pkg is required by something else, then pkg_deinstall
> will tell me that it can't delete the dependancy pkg because its used by
> another pkg. Works like a charm.
>
> Patrick

I use a program called pkg_cutleaves.  It's located in
/usr/ports/sysutils/pkg_cutleaves.  You run it as root and basically you
select the main program(s) you want to deinstall.  If the program you
deinstall has any dependencies it will give you the option to deinstall
them as well.

Hope this helps.

Drew