Java applets asking for plugin in firefox

Gautham Ganapathy gauthamglist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 20:07:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 09:04 -0700, pete wright wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamglist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have jdk 1.5 built and installed on my system running 6.0-rel.
> > However, when I open a page containing an applet in firefox, i get a
> > message saying 'Additional plugins are required to display all the media
> > on this page'. o found a similar reports on the net, but no solutions.
> > anyone know how to get applets working in bsd?
> >

> assuming you are running a native firefox build (and not
> linux-firefox) you should have this file:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> that should happen when you install the package or port.  this is the
> case with the diable-jre-1.5 package for sure.  also check the output
> of about:plugins in your URL bar in firefox to see if it's getting
> registered.

I have a native firefox and jdk build, but this file was not in this
folder. I copied it from /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/ and
firefox detected it. However, when I opened a test applet, firefox
crashed. Are there any other changes to be done to let firefox know the
location of the jre? 'java.default_java_location_others' is set
to /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386

I have not upgraded firefox, still running 1.0.7. Would this be a
problem?

Regards
Gautham