Putting /tmp on a separate volume?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 14:48:17 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the `daily_clean_tmps_enable="YES"
> in /etc/periodic.conf' statement cause a problem for a running program
> that had created files in the /tmp directory and therefore obviously
> expected to find them there?

It might.  However, what the script does is remove any files from /tmp
that have not been accessed in more than 3 days (or whatever number you
configure), or similarly any empty directories that have not been modified
(ie. files added, deleted or meta-data changed) in that amount of time.
Accessed means 'opened for reading or writing' so anything at all useful
tends not to hit that condition.

On the other hand, if a program cannot cope with the mysterious and
unexpected disappearance of files from the /temporary directory/, well,
then it deserves to crash and burn.  There's plenty of other bits of file
system to keep files in if you want them to stick around.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW