Newbie question - cannot add new disk

Sat Apr 22 09:23:32 UTC 2006

Thanks for your interest in this.

A large part of the problem was in fact a bad cable.

I went back and forth between the command line and sysinstall. They seem not
to do the same things. It did seem to me that the disklabel in sysinstall and
the disklabel command-line tool did not necessarily produce labels that were
mutually intelligible. It looks also as if when writing with disklabel in
sysinstall, one of the newly created slices has to be highlighted, something
not made clear in the Handbook. I ended up making partitions instead of
slices, as disklabel did not like what the sysinstall-disklabel produced.
Also, the fdisk tool in sysinstall did not always wipe and create new
partition entries -- it sometimes just appended new ones, although that is
not what it displayed. I needed dd to actually wipe the table and start anew.

This seemed to continue despite the new cable. However, I am not exactly a
reliable observer, being, as stated, very new to BSD.

Oliver