DHCP client and PF rules

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Apr 20 17:03:53 UTC 2006

My desktop PC get its IP address from a PPPoA modem connected with ethernet. I
started logging DHCP in PF, to make sure I wasn't dropping anything, but the
*only* packets  I'm seeing are incoming broadcast:

    pass in on vr0: 10.0.0.2.67 > 255.255.255.255.68: BOOTP/DHCP, Reply,
    length: 548

I presume that the DHCP client is bypassing the firewall, but I'm wondering
about these incoming  broadcast packets - whether they have already been seen
(and can be dropped) or not. The sessions are renewing without any specific
DHCP rules.